Your privacy is of the utmost importance to us, which is why we have compiled this comprehensive Data Protection policy in compliance with national and international regulations.
This site is owned and managed Five Lakes and we respect the privacy of all visitors to the site. Please find below information on how the data we collect on you is used, and what you should do if you have any concerns regarding the data held. If you have queries regarding the information contained in this policy please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
“Personal data” referred to henceforth means any of your information collected and logged by us in a way which allows us to identify you directly or indirectly. Please read this policy before providing us with any direct information (i.e. name) or indirect information (i.e. address).
This policy has been created as part of the terms and conditions of our hotel services. By accepting our terms and conditions, you expressly accept the terms of our Data Protection policy detailed below.
1. What information do we collect?
At various points, we may need to collect information about you or your family/fellow guests. This information may include:
- Contact details such as your first name, last name, telephone number or email
- Personal information such as your nationality or date of birth
- Information about your children such as first name, date of birth or age
- Your credit card number for transaction and reservation purposes
- Your arrival/departure dates and room preferences
- Your questions, comments or feedback during or after a stay or visit to us
- Your IP address or cookie information
We will never deliberately collect sensitive information such as racial, religious, sexual or political alignment and only collect information regarding adults or their children from those aged over 18.
2. When do we collect it?
Your information may be collected at the hotel when:
- Booking a room, checking in or paying
- Eating or drinking at our bar or restaurant
- Making a request or complaint
Your information may be collected online when:
- Participating in a customer survey or online competition
- Subscribing to our promotional email newsletter
- Through a third party i.e. a reservation system or travel agent
- When connecting to our website i.e. IP address or cookies
3. Why do we collect it and how we use it?
Contact details – To manage your reservation, requests and services; to monitor use of amenities; to manage your restaurant or bar bookings; to manage special requests, to send you special offers or information via email newsletter and to manage financial and payment records pertaining to your stay or visit.
Personal information – To improve the level of service we offer; to assist in marketing and promotion of our services and help us adapt our services.
Information pertaining to your children – To manage their stay at the hotel; information can only be supplied by an adult.
Credit card number – To guarantee bookings and take payment.
Arrival and departure dates – To manage your hotel booking.
Your questions, comments or feedback – To improve the level of service we offer.
IP address or cookie information – To improve our website navigation and prevent fraud or security breaches.
4. Secure information storage
We take data security seriously and use appropriate technologies and procedures to protect your personal information. Our information security policies and procedures are aligned with widely accepted international standards, we apply the controls detailed in the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard to all environments storing personal data. These standards are applied and are reviewed regularly and updated as necessary to meet our business needs, changes in technology, and regulatory requirements.
Policies and procedures
- We have measures in place to protect against accidental loss and unauthorised access, use, destruction, or disclosure of data
- We have a Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery strategy that is designed to safeguard the continuity of our service to our clients and to protect our people and assets
- We place appropriate restrictions on access to personal information
- We implement appropriate measures and controls, including monitoring and physical measures, to store and transfer data securely
- We conduct Privacy Impact Assessments in accordance with legal requirements and our business policies
Training for employees and contractors
- We require privacy, information security, and other applicable training on a regular basis for our employees and contractors who have access to personal information and other sensitive data
- We take steps to ensure that our employees and contractors operate in accordance with our information security policies and procedures and any applicable contractual conditions
Vendor risk management
- We require, through the use of contracts and security reviews, our third-party vendors and providers to protect any personal information with which they are entrusted in accordance with our security policies and procedures
5. Your rights
We hold on to your information for as long as you have a booking with us, and for as long as is necessary to provide support-related reporting. We’ll also hold on to your information If reasonably necessary or required to meet legal or regulatory requirements, resolve disputes, prevent fraud and abuse, or enforce our terms and conditions. We may also keep hold of some of your information as required, even if it is no longer needed to provide the services to you. You may see or receive marketing information or promotions when appropriate. You have the following rights:
- The right to be informed about how your personal information is being used
- The right to access the personal information we hold about you
- The right to request the correction of inaccurate personal information we hold about you
- The right to request that we delete your data, or stop processing it or collecting it, in some circumstances
- The right to stop direct marketing messages, and to withdraw consent for other consent-based processing at any time
- The right to request that we transfer elements of your data either to you or another service provider
- The right to complain to your data protection regulator — in the UK, the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO)
We may use certain information to refine your online experience with us and to show you promotions or products which may be of interest to you; you may amend your marketing preferences across your social media channels to opt out of this. We may also email you with exclusive information and promotions; you may unsubscribe from these emails at any time.
Site functionality cookies – these cookies allow you to navigate the site and use our features
Site analytics cookies – these cookies allow us to measure and analyse how our customers use the site, to improve both its functionality and your shopping experience
Customer preference cookies – when you are browsing, these cookies will remember your preferences (like your language or location), so we can make your experience as seamless as possible, and more personal to you
Targeting or advertising cookies – these cookies are used to deliver ads relevant to you. They also limit the number of times that you see an ad and help us measure the effectiveness of our marketing campaigns.
By visiting and using our site, you agree to us placing these sorts of cookies on your device and accessing them when you visit the site in the future. If you want to delete any cookies that are already on your computer, the “help” section in your browser should provide instructions on
how to locate the file or directory that stores cookies.
8. Changes and updates to this policy
We may change our Data Protection policy from time to time, to reflect the way we process your data. Should we make significant changes, we will make that clear on our website, or by some other means of contact such as email, so that you are able to review the changes before you continue to make use of our services.
9. Contact us
Should you wish to contact us at any time with questions, comments, data-related requests or similar, please email us at email@example.com
Issue Date: July 2018
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us. You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- whenever you are asked to fill in a form on the website, look for the box that you can click to indicate that you do not want the information to be used by anybody for direct marketing purposes
- if you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by letting us know using our Contact Us page
We will not sell, distribute or lease your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We may use your personal information to send you promotional information about third parties which we think you may find interesting if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please write to or email us as soon as possible, with the details found on our Contact Us page. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.